The following post was written for the readers we have who are starting a new life in a married relationship or are already married. Starting a business with your spouse can be a very rewarding and amazing experience, but there are some rules to follow if you want to be a successful entrepreneur with your significant other.
1. If you are already in a tense and stressful relationship – Don’t Do It!
- Working together is not therapeutic and is intensely stressful.
2. Know who will be in charge.
- Someone will ultimately need to make final decisions. So having this clarified at the beginning will help eliminate confusion later.
3. Write down your responsibilities.
- Make sure they are clear and separate.
4. Set a schedule and stick to it.
- Keep each other accountable for the time at work each day.
5. Separate your personal life and feelings during business hours.
- Keeping boundaries will help erase any gray areas between the business and the home.
6. Communicate with each other.
- Let each other know what your goals are for each day.
7. Make sure your goals and visions for the business line up.
- Like in marriage, before starting the business know where you want to go and that you have the same goals.
8. Get away with each other.
- Plan time out not talking about the business, but enjoying each other.
9. Get away from each other.
- Plan alone time, being together 24 hours a day can create tension.
10. Encourage each other and enjoy the journey.
- Nothing is more important than your spouse and your family, including your business.
The DISC is one of the best tools to help quickly decipher a person’s strengths and dominant areas. It usually costs a few hundred dollars, but you can take it several places for FREE. I don’t know anyone who has taken it for the first time and not learned something incredibly useful about themselves. For me it changed my life and my business, and gave me permission to be my best in what I was made for, instead of where I currently was positioned.
It has helped us with hiring as well as with finding out which responsibilities to give to current team members. Gain insight by using this test and save a lot of time and money by knowing yourself and what you are made for. Most of all, you can find much greater satisfaction in life when doing something every day that closely aligns with your personal strengths.
If your struggling with employment or position, check it out, I think you will find it one of the most worthwhile career tools you’ll see this year. We receive no kickback from Tony Robbins, it’s just the site we use that has the free DISC.